Posted by & filed under Miscellaneous.

Lighting Facts

Light has been, is and always will be an important part of our lives, so did you know about some of these interesting facts about light?


  1. The world’s longest lasting light bulb, ‘The Centennial Light’ at 4550 East Avenue, Livermore, California, still continues to burn ever since it was donated by Dennis Bernal to the Livermore-Pleasanton Fire Department in 1901. – Source
  2. The glow of Los Angeles skyline is visible from an airplane 200 miles away as a result of the amount of lights in the city.- Source
  3. In a double rainbow, the colours on the outer arc appear in a reversed order due to the reflection of light.- Source
  4. Light makes some people sneeze, known as the ‘photic sneeze reflex’. Between 17% to 35% of the human population is estimated to be affected by it. – Source
  5. If everyone installed even a single energy saving light bulb, the carbon dioxide emissions saved would fill the Royal Albert Hall nearly 2000 times.- Source
  6. The speed of light is about 300 000 km per second.- Source
  7. Light from the Sun takes about 8 minutes and 20 seconds to reach the Earth.- Source
  8. Light from the Earth takes 1.255 seconds to get to the Moon.- Source
  9. A black hole is so dense that not even light can escape its gravitational pull, meaning it cannot be observed directly. Light can only be detected by observing the behaviour of space around them.- Source
  10. Blue light has small short waves compared to red or yellow light so when it travels through our atmosphere, it is scattered by molecules in the air making the sky blue.- Source
  11. NASA came up with the concept that ‘faster than light’ travel is plausible by bending space time in front and behind a vessel, they believe it is possible without contradicting Einsteinian relativity.- Source
  12. Sunlight can reach a depth of 200 meters (656 ft.) into the ocean.- Source
  13. Lighting accounts for almost 20% of global electricity consumption. This consumption is comparable to the amount of electricity generated by nuclear power.- Source
  14. Long exposure to artificial light at night prevents trees from adjusting to the seasonal changes, disrupting their natural cycle.- Source
  15. When you switch on a light bulb only 10% of the electricity used is turned into light, the other 90% is wasted as heat.- Source
  16. 100 searches  on Google  are equal to a 60-watt light bulb burning for 28 minutes.- Source
  17. The ‘Right to Light’ of the English law entitles the owner of a building with windows who has received natural daylight for 20 years or more, to forbid any sort of construction or obstruction that would block light from coming through.- Source
  18. The division of East and West Germany can still be seen from space, each side uses different light bulbs, orange on the right (East Germany) and white on the left (West Germany).- Source
  19. A ‘jiffy’ is actually an actual unit of time. The word has been around since the 18th century and refers to the time taken for light to travel 1 cm in a vacuum.– Source